Calls for a “million people demonstration” Sunday in Sudan, and 40 people have been killed since the coup

Sudanese opponents of the military rule renewed Saturday's demonstrations to demand the return of civilians to power with a call to continue the protest on Sunday, despite the repression that has killed at least 40 people since October 25, according to doctors.

The army chief, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan, led a coup on October 25 during a fragile transition period in Sudan. He arrested most of the civilians in power, ended the union formed by civilians and military personnel, and declared a state of emergency.

Since then, protests have been organized against the army demanding the return of civilian authority, especially in the capital, Khartoum, and the security forces have suppressed them.

Hundreds of people demonstrated in the city of Khartoum North, northeast of the capital, on Saturday, setting up roadblocks and setting fire to rubber tires, according to an AFP correspondent. The demonstrators chanted slogans against the military rule.

The Central Committee of Sudan Doctors said in a statement, "This morning (Saturday) the soul of martyr Muhammad Adam Harun (16 years old) died from his severe wounds as a result of being hit by live bullets in the head and leg on the 17th of November."

Wednesday, November 17, witnessed the largest number of deaths of 16 people, most of them in the northern suburb of Khartoum, which is linked by a bridge to the Sudanese capital, according to the pro-democracy doctors' union.

This brings the death toll since the demonstrations began on October 25 to forty, most of them demonstrators.

The police confirm that they do not open fire on the demonstrators, and the death toll is only thirty-one among the protesters, as a result of tear gas, while 89 policemen were injured.

Pro-democracy activists on social networks called on Saturday for a "million demonstration" on Sunday.

In a tweet on Twitter, the Sudanese Professionals Association, which played a pivotal role during the uprising that led to the overthrow of Omar al-Bashir in April 2019, called for a number of gatherings throughout the week, including a massive “million” demonstration on Sunday and similar demonstrations on Thursday.
A security center in Khartoum North was torched on Saturday, and it was not immediately clear who was responsible for the incident, while the police and demonstrators exchanged responsibility.

The police spokesman, Brigadier General Idris Suleiman, told AFP that the security center "has one individual who was attacked by a group of citizens, who seriously injured him and burned the site with all its contents."

However, the Bahri Neighborhood Committees, in a press release, held the police responsible. The statement stated that “the police forces today decided to withdraw from the Police Rescue Station in Al-Sha’abiyah Bahri... and the station was left empty even of guards, as a group of them infiltrated and carried out acts of sabotage and fires.”

The committees formed during the 2018-2019 protests against former President Omar al-Bashir accused the military authority of “creating this intended chaos.”

Protesters also demonstrated in Omdurman to condemn the killings, and raised slogans against the military authority.
Small groups of protesters gathered on Friday after prayers in several neighborhoods, especially in the suburb of Khartoum North, where the largest number of victims fell on Wednesday.

Protesters set up barricades in the streets, but security forces fired tear gas canisters to disperse them.
The Association of Professionals said that the security forces "raised houses and mosques".

The United States and the African Union condemned the bloody crackdown on protesters, and called on Sudan's leaders not to "excessive use of force".

And the spokesman for the US State Department called for "holding those responsible for human rights violations and abuses accountable, including the excessive use of force against peaceful demonstrators."

"Before the upcoming demonstrations, we call on the Sudanese authorities to exercise restraint and allow peaceful demonstrations," he added.

For its part, the African Union, which suspended Sudan's membership after the coup, said in a statement on Saturday that it "condemns in the strongest terms" the violence that occurred Wednesday.
Moussa Faki Mahamat, Chairperson of the African Union Commission, called on the authorities to “restore the constitutional order and the democratic transition,” referring to the power-sharing agreement signed between civilians and the military in 2019.

The Committee to Protect Journalists called for the release of journalists who were detained while covering the demonstrations, including Ali Farsab, who it said was beaten, shot and detained by security forces on Wednesday.

Sherif Mansour, coordinator of the Committee to Protect Journalists' Program in the Middle East, said Friday that Farsab's being beaten and shot by security forces contradicts "the coup government's claim that it is committed to a democratic transition."

The army chief, Lieutenant-General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, who led the coup against his civilian partners, asserts that he did nothing but “correct the course of the revolution.”
Sudan has a long history of military coups and has enjoyed only rare periods of democratic rule since its independence in 1956.

Al-Burhan formed a new Transitional Sovereignty Council, from which he excluded four representatives of the Forces for Freedom and Change (the coalition of forces opposing the military), and retained his position as Chairman of the Council.

General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, commander of the Rapid Support Forces accused of wartime abuses in the Darfur region during al-Bashir's era and during the uprising against al-Bashir, also retained his position as Vice-President of the Council.


التعليقات والاراء

اضافة تعليق